Helpful Information
  What To Do When Death Occurs
  Common Questions
  Social Services & After Care
  Local Florists
  Local Hotels & Motels
  Local Airports & Transportation
  Local Newspapers
  Local Cemeteries

  Sweet Home Funeral Chapel
  1443 Long Street
  Sweet Home, Oregon 97386
  (541) 367-2891
  (541) 367-4095 Fax
  E-mail: Mac Olsen, Funeral Director

  Visa and MasterCard Accepted

What To Do When Death Occurs
If a death should occur in your family and you are unsure what to do, please call the funeral chapel for assistance at (541) 367-2891. We are available day and night to help you coordinate arrangements and notify the appropriate authorities.

Collect information for the Death Certificate: full name and middle initial of the deceased; date and place of birth; social security number; education; military record; marital status; father's name; mother's name; and mother's maiden name.


Make a list of immediate family, close friends, and colleagues, and then notify each by phone.


Decide on an appropriate memorial to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, charity, or school).


Gather information for an obituary: age, place of birth, cause of death, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding achievements, photograph, list of survivors in immediate family, and the time and place of funeral or memorial services. The caring professionals at the funeral chapel can write the article and submit it to newspapers and other appropriate media sources. If a photograph is included, it can be returned intact.


Arrange for members of the family or close friends to take turns answering the door or phone, keeping a careful record of calls.


Arrange for child care, if necessary.


Check promptly on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. Some may carry insurance clauses that will cancel them. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before payments are due.


Notify relevant organizations: life insurance companies; bank or credit union; trade union; fraternal organizations; military organizations; Internal Revenue Service; and any financial representatives such as a broker (brokers and the IRS will both require a copy of the death certificate).


The funeral director will prepare Social Security Form SSA 721. Contact the Social Security Administration (800-772-1213) to ensure the social security number is retired and to pursue any benefits for the survivors.


Contact the Veteran's Administration (503-373-2095), if appropriate. They will request military discharge information. If you are the spouse of a veteran, contact your County Assessor's office. There may be a reduction in taxes.

© 2007 Olsen's Sweet Home Funeral Chapel, Inc. (541) 367-2891    |  Home   |  Site Map   |  Contact Our Funeral Director